- Sponsored Content
We all know the importance of organising, tidying, and decluttering our space in the lead up to an international move, yet most of us put it off until the last minute. Many reasons are cited for this hesitancy, including holding onto possessions “just in case”, keeping items to be used in the future, feeling guilty about getting rid of expensive items, feeling wasteful when we get rid of items, feeling obligated to keep sentimental objects or mementos, and lots more. Then there’s just plan laziness or procrastination!
Tips for Decluttering:
Start with small items: Tackling a house full of clutter can be overwhelming, to say the least. Make sure you start small and tackle one task at a time.
- Start a necessities box: Store all the items you will need as the last days of your travel schedule draws near. This box can include toiletries, clothes, and others.
- Get rid of rarely used items: The rule usually is – if you haven’t used it in six months, toss it.
- Donate or sell: Donate to charities or give secondhand goods to family or friends. Donate your DVDs and books to the library. You could also earn a few bucks by selling these items.
- Leave the mementos until last: These are sentimental items and will need a lot of willpower to get rid of. The KonMari Method of decluttering can help in this regard. It was created by a world-famous organising consultant, Marie Kondo. At the heart of this system lies the simple question, “does it spark joy?” If it doesn’t, get rid of it.
- Contact moving companies: The quotation you will receive is directly related to the number of items you’re shipping. Therefore, if you declutter before the professionals arrive for a survey, you would have reduced your cost and your quotation will be more accurate. Contact SIR Move Services for a quotation.
Benefits of Decluttering
- Improving productivity: You may be making that international move for work-related or study reasons. Decluttering your space just before you go leaves room for little distractions.
- You will feel physically healthier: You will be amazed at the relationship between decluttering and your physical health. There are many health challenges that are made worse by excessive clutter.
- Increased wellbeing: You don’t need the latest gadgets or excessive items to feel happy. Trying to keep up with the latest trends and buying more than you need can increase stress and cause anxious feelings.
Finally, decluttering will largely help to make your life organised and more intentional. Making an international move, for whatever reason, suggests you need a fresh start and new challenges. So, it’s better you don’t bring along with you the baggage of the past on this journey.
About SIR MOVE
Established in Singapore in and Malaysia since 2006, SIR Move Services is a Singapore/British brand and it is a moving company that continues to build a business based on integrity and trust. With a firm belief that 110% attention to the technicalities involved in moving is an expected pre-requisite, it is these strong building blocks that have served as a foundation for their mission which is, to ensure that the delivery of their services comes with consistent quality of exceptional standards at every level and in every move. SIR provides Complete Move Solutions for International, Commercial and Domestic Relocations inclusive of storage and insurance. We move pets too. Moove My Box (MMB) is the newest addition to our suite of services allowing customers to ship small shipments faster. Similar to Air Express Delivery with the addition of packing and collection services. SIR Move is a qualified FIDI/FAIM Quality Mover.
SIR Move Services
For more information on SMAD
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Instagram
SIR Move Services Pte. Ltd
A member of THE SIR GROUP